Pacific Gas and Electric has gone live with its first utility-scale, lithium-ion battery storage system.
The storage substation, located about 50 miles north of Sacramento, is made of 22 Tesla Powerpacks, each the size of a refrigerator. In all, the 500-kilowatt (KW) substation can store up to 2000KW hours (KWh) of power, enough to power up to 380 typical homes. The batteries can discharge at full power for four hours.
P4A in the News
- YouTube Video Tricking Consumers on How to Pay Utility Bills Using Social Security Numbers
- Safety Training Saves Lives, Builds Careers
- Meet the Sixth Graders Who Built a Potable Water Dispenser
- Forever GI Bill Signed Into Law
- Drones, Robots, Virtual Reality and 3D Printers Join Forces to Cut Water Waste