TATE HOUSE, BOSTON, JUNE 1, 2016….Citing a 2013 incident in which workers were injured after a Bedford gas line ruptured and a fire erupted, gas workers on Wednesday urged lawmakers to support a bill they said would keep them safe on the job while also protecting residents and first responders.
Legislation filed in January by Everett Democrat Sen. Sal DiDomenico (S 2287) would require natural gas utilities to locate and ensure access to gas gates and shut-off valves before any planned excavation or blasting work.
If workers had been able to quickly and easily shut off the gas valve in the Bedford fire, “it would have been shut down in a matter of minutes,” said United Steelworkers Local 12003 president Joe Kirylo.
P4A in the News
- Pennsylvania American Water Files Request With PUC to Replace Lead Service Lines
- Illinois American Water Distributes Grant to Morris Fire Department
- Consumers Energy Investing Nearly $440 Million to Enhance Safety, Reliability of Natural Gas System
- Universities Participate in National Solar Energy Competition
- Former US Energy Secretary Ernest Moniz Joins Board of Directors for Fusion Energy Leader Tri Alpha Energy